Dear Loyal Patients. Dr Nick Boden and his team have moved to opposite Hartamas Shopping Centre, same row as RHB Bank, to their new home called “Spine & Joint” effective 1 September 2015
PLEASE CALL 0362064009 for an appointment or email Dr Nick directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Technical Analyst/Team Chiropractor for South African Men’s Hockey Team and World Student Games (Team South Africa)
o 1999 All Africa Games, Johannesburg
o 2000 Africa Nations Cup, Bulawayo
o 2000 Africa Club Champions, Egypt
o 2000 Comrades Marathon
o 2000 4 Nations Championship, Australia
o 2001 World Student Games Beijing
o 2001 Junior Mens World Cup, Hobart
o 2001 Hockey Champions Challenge, KL, Malaysia
o 2002 Hockey World Cup KL, Malaysia
o 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games
o 2003 Hockey Champions Challenge Johannesburg
o 2003 World Student Games, South Korea*
o 2003 Afro-asian ganes, Hyderabad *
o 2004 Athens Olympic Qualifying tournament, Madrid
o 2004 Athens Olympic Games, Greece
o 2008 Langkawi International adventure race
o 2008 Kuala Lumpur International Marathon
• Media Officer: South African Mens Hockey Team 2002 Hockey World Cup
• 2003-2005 Chiropractic Consultant, Twin Towers Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur
• 2003- present Director in Tonik Asia Sdn Bhd in active practice in Melaka, Johor Bahru, and Kuala Lumpur
• 2007 Guest Speaker at the EMS Medical Shockwave Therapy convention in Gold Coast Australia
• 2008 Speaker at the International Society for Medical Shockwave Therapy, in Antibes, France
• 2008 (July) Beijing Olympic Committee trainer of Athletes Village Polyclinic Doctors and Physical Therapists in the use of Dolorclast Radial Extracoporeal Shockwave therapy
• 2008 July Chiropractic Biomechanics of Posture seminar, Sydney Australia
• Guest speaker EMS Dolorclast User’s conference, Berlin, September 2008
• Accredited user of Dolorclast and Evotron Medical Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy for the treatment of sports injuries
• SpineCor Fitter Phase 1
Dr Nick will be presenting the SpineCor dynamic soft bracing approach for the treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. As Chiropractors, we see a significant amount of scoliosis patients, and this technology provides a scientifically proven and recolutionary approach to the treatment of this condition.
SpineCor Treatment Overview
SpineCor® treatment was developed in the early 1990s and utilises a Dynamic Corrective Brace (DCB), together with a completely new treatment approach requiring clinical assistant diagnostic software (SAS) to allow accurate fitting and treatment follow up.
Following 12 years of clinical research and trials, SpineCor® is now rapidly being made available to patients around the world.
The initial excellent clinical results produced by the research centre at Ste Justine Hospital and the University of Montrea, Canada, have since been replicated by more than 80 other treatment centres around the world. SpineCor® has shown to be effective in 89% of cases (either by stablisation or improvement in (Cobb) angle of the curve.
SpineCor®’s unique treatment approach offers improvement over traditional braces, which are essentially static or allow minimal movement, due to its true totally dynamic action. Fundamental research by independent research groups now indicates that a significant dynamic action is required on the spine (vertebral growth plates) to alter the abnormal growth progressing the deformity in scoliosis patients.
The SpineCor® treatment approach is completely different to that of traditional braces that use 3-point pressure and distraction; it is the first and only true dynamic bracing system for idiopathic scoliosis. SpineCor®’s unique approach to treatment by global postural re-education has been shown to give progressive correction over time which, unlike any previous brace treatment, is extremely stable post brace weaning.
Clinical experience to date also shows better compliance and cosmetic results.
- Allows patients four hours per day out of brace
- Allows total freedom of movement
- Offers better cosmesis under clothing, and
- Is cooler to wear.
With all of these benefits, it is not difficult to see why compliance might be better than with bulky, rigid braces that severely restrict movement and must be worn 23 hours per day.
Although to date no specific study has been undertaken to quantify cosmetic improvement, subjectively, some striking improvements have been observed clinically. Additionally, some very positive postural changes have been noted in cases where there has been no change in Cobb angle.
- A treatment approach based on the latest understanding of the cause and progression factors of Idiopathic scoliosis.
- A much more acceptable treatment to patients, being cooler to wear, less restrictive, more easily concealed under clothing and 4 hours of out of brace time per day.
- No side effects. Rigid braces cause muscle atrophy and can be harmful to normal development in a growing child.
- Excellent treatment results, particularly when treatment is started early.
- Excellent stability of treatment results post bracing.
- Neuromuscular integration for maintenance of improved posture.
- Potential to reduce incidence of surgical intervention.
SpineCor® is a highly effective for the early treatment of idiopathic scoliosis as demonstrated in the case study and also offers significant benefits to patients who present late. The real challenge is, therefore, to increase awareness of the absolute importance of early diagnosis and, that a viable treatment for early intervention is now available. Clearly it is easier to prevent progression of a small curve than to reverse the deformity in a large curve. Timing is of absolute importance – the later treatment is started the lesser the possibility there is to change the curve, as the child’s growth runs out so does the possibility to make any change.